Thursday, September 2, 2010
From the mouths of babes....
So as part of our homeschooling curriculum this year, we are reading some classic children's books and then doing language arts, science, art, math, etc based on the story. We also identify vocabulary words that we don't know and we write them and their definitions on index cards. Last week, one of our words was "indignant." According to Nicholas's children's dictionary, indignant means the following: "if you are indignant, you are upset and annoyed because you feel that something is not fair." Soon after learning that word together, there was a set of unfortunate circumstances that led to Nicholas not getting to go outside to play baseball one evening when we had said we would probably be able to do that later. Instead, we sent him upstairs to get ready for bed. He was very upset and marched upstairs and then stood at the top of the stairs and said, with hands on hips and bottom lip quivering, "I'm going to use my words. I am very indignant that I don't get to play baseball." I LOVE it!! He was using this huge word in exactly the right context and he was so passionate about it.......he was almost in tears. Priceless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment